- There has been a 73.6% increase in WordPress developer job postings on Indeed through the first three months of 2020.
- Demand for tech jobs is more resilient than the national average, with tech job listings down 5.8% from the same time last year compared to a 15.2% drop across all job listings.
- The top ten most in-demand tech jobs’ open positions grew 30.2% through March 2020.
While job postings in the U.S. are 23.6% lower year-to-date compared to 2019, tech hiring is showing signs of being more resilient than average. Indeed’s economists looked at the tech job titles with the highest percentage increase in job postings per million from January 2020 to March 2020. They included average salary along with the % increase in job postings per million on Indeed during the same time period in 2019. Their analysis found the ten most in-demand technical jobs through the end of March have seen on average a 30% increase in job listings. WordPress Developers, Systems Integration Engineers, and SAS Programmers are the most in-demand, according to Indeed’s analysis.
According to Nick Bunker, Economist at Indeed: “Demand for tech workers has slowed considerably. The trend in job postings for software development job titles included in the analysis is down 18.5% from the same time last year, as of April 3. Compare that to the trend in overall postings in the U.S. which is down 23.6% from last year’s trend.” Demand for tech workers appears to be slowing down, but is doing relatively better than the overall labor market. Nick says that “the trend in job postings for software development jobs titles is down 5.8% from the same time last year, as of March 27st. Compare that to the trend in overall postings in the U.S. which is down 15.2% from last year’s trend.”
The following are key insights from Indeed’s analysis of tech jobs most in-demand so far this year.
- The average salary of the ten most in-demand tech jobs on Indeed through March 2020 is $113,855. SAP ABAP Developers are earning the highest salaries, with an average annual salary of $139,920. Indeed’s economists say professionals with skills in the area can make, on average, $69.96 per hour. SAP ABAP expertise is among the most lucrative skills to have in an economic downturn, paying $26,065 more than the average income level of the top ten tech jobs combined.
- There has been a 30.25% growth in new job listings across the ten most in-demand jobs through March 2020, countering the downward trend in overall national hiring. The five fastest-growing positions’ job listings are growing at an aggregate 44% growth rate through the first three months of the year. Professionals with skills in WordPress Development, Systems Integration Engineering, SAS Programming, experience being a Senior Technical Lead, and SAP ABAP development have an excellent chance of finding work during this downtime.
- There are just over 29,000 job listings across the ten most in-demand positions today. To get the number of open positions by title, I searched Indeed on each and entered the counts in the table below.